Opposition head pleads for support in ‘fight against Yoon dictatorship’
简介Democratic Party of Korea leader Rep. Lee Jae-myung on Friday made pleas to "salvage democracy" from ...
Democratic Party of Korea leader Rep. Lee Jae-myung on Friday made pleas to "salvage democracy" from the Yoon Suk Yeol administration, a day after the National Assembly passed a motion to let the court decide whether to issue an arrest warrant for him.
In a written statement, he called attention to the country’s history of fighting military dictatorships, and the monthslong protests that led to the impeachment of the Park Geun-hye administration.
“As history is a guide, it is always the people that triumph in the end,” he said. “But the Democratic Party must lead the way in fighting the Yoon Suk Yeol administration’s tyranny and stopping the dictatorial regime from destroying middle class and democracy.”
He said that if the Democratic Party falls, it’s the people “who will suffer the consequences,” calling for more support for him and his party.
“If we stand united against the prosecutors’ dictatorship, we will prevail.”
Friday’s statement comes after his party announced it would be overhauling its leadership in the Assembly to take responsibility for the passage of the critical motion that may result in Lee’s arrest.
The motion would not have passed unless several lawmakers from the majority-holding Democratic Party voted in favor, which the party characterized as a “betrayal.”
“For failing to unite the party in time of crisis, our floor leaders decided to step down,” the party said in a statement issued late Thursday.
According to his arrest warrant request, submitted by Seoul prosecutors, Lee is accused in three different scandals.
One is that he handed favors to private developers while he was the mayor of Seongnam, allowing them to illicitly profit from the city’s land development project. The second is that, during his trial for impersonating a prosecutor, an offense for which he was convicted, he forced a witness to give false testimony in court. The last one is that he paid North Korean authorities via an illicit route to organize his Pyongyang trip while serving as the governor of Gyeonggi Province.
The court is set to decide on his arrest warrant on Tuesday.
Lee, who is in hospital, has been on a hunger strike against the “tyrannical Yoon administration” since Aug. 31, demanding that the president replace his entire Cabinet.
The Chuncheon District Court on Tuesday ruled that Gangwon Police were justified in a recent decisio ...
South Korean IT giant Kakao, having suffered from its worst-ever server shutdown last year, has comp ...
Hana Financial Group said Tuesday it has signed a preliminary agreement with Saudi Arabia's Exp ...
- Cast of ‘Norma’ says opera difficult to sing but easy to enjoy
- Reeling from election loss, ruling party picks new leader posts
- [Our Museums] Discover wisdom of hanok at Eunpyeong History Hanok Museum
- MBK chairman makes donation to promote Korean art at New York's Met
- Supporters of Israel hold rally in Seoul, urge Hamas to stop atrocities
- Hamas weapons, tactics resemble those of NK: JCS
- Yoon lauds rapid growth of Korean defense industry
- Yoon, doctors set to clash over medical school quota
- Ruling party chief clings on after election loss
- Another suspect of Tajik duo behind S. Korean money exchange robbery nabbed
- Sejong University ranks 8th among Korean peers in world university rankings for 3rd consecutive year
- Seoul shares open higher on US gains
- Science minister welcomes HIT forum on space economy
- Seoul shares open higher on US gains after Fed comments
- USS Ronald Reagan aircraft carrier to arrive in Busan this week
- [HIT Forum]Space forum sees opportunities beyond our 'pale blue dot'
- N. Korea's Kim, Putin exchange congratulatory messages marking 75th anniversary of diplomatic ties
- Russian, Uzbek nationals under investigation after campsite brawl
- Samsung Electronics tips Q3 operating profit to plunge 78% on semiconductor losses
- Samsung Electronics forecasts Q3 rebound
- [HIT Forum] More than 400 attendees explore space at HIT forum
- Hanwha at forefront of Korea’s space leadership
- HD Hyundai Shipbuilding invests $47m in Estonian fuel cell for green maritime energy
- 민주당 개표 초반부터 환호성…김태우 캠프엔 적막 가득했다
- Israleli strikes flatten entire neighborhoods as Gaza faces imminent blackout
- Trend forecaster Kim Ran
- Aespa to return with 4th EP ‘Drama’ next month
- 문 정부, 셀트리온에 코로나 R&D 예산 522억 몰아줬다
- [Busan Is Ready] Busan Expo strives to present climate change solutions
- [Herald Interview] Monte