Seoul prepares for first major military parade in ten years
简介For the first time in a decade, Seoul citizens will witness a large-scale military parade, with tank ...
For the first time in a decade, Seoul citizens will witness a large-scale military parade, with tanks and armed forces marching across the city center Tuesday amid escalating tensions with North Korea.
Major thoroughfares will be closed throughout the day for the event celebrating the 75th anniversary of the Korean Armed Forces' founding, the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency announced on Sept. 20.
The march will commence at the Seoul Air Base at 1:30 p.m. following a memorial ceremony. From there, a force of approximately 3,700 infantry troops and 170 heavy artillery units, including K2 tanks, will split into two routes before converging for a parade in downtown Seoul.
Infantry units will enter the city center through the city’s eastern outskirts on buses, leading to partial traffic restrictions from approximately 1:40 p.m. to 2:50 p.m. stretching from Dongbu expressway to Gangbyeon expressway.
Meanwhile, tanks and armored vehicles are expected to cut through Seoul's southern outskirts, moving through Bangbae-dong and Dongjak-dong before crossing the Hangang Bridge to reach downtown Seoul. Traffic along this route will be restricted in both directions, from 1:30 p.m. to 3:23 p.m.
A joint march will take place in downtown Seoul from 4 p.m, covering a 1.5-kilometer stretch from Namdaemun to Gwanghwamun. Roads between these two landmarks will remain closed from 2 p.m. until 6 p.m.
While some streets are expected to reopen by 4:40 p.m., others could be closed until the next morning, according to the police.
Given that the parade is taking place in the run-up to the Chuseok holiday period, drivers are advised to detour or use public transport to avoid congestion. The city plans to deploy 1,000 police officers to manage traffic and increase the frequency of subway trains to accommodate commuters.
Historically, Seoul had conducted military parades every five years since 1998. However, in an effort to thaw relations with North Korea, the liberal Moon Jae-in administration scaled down the 2018 parade to an air show.
This year's display, featuring 6,700 service members, will showcase South Korea’s advanced domestic weaponry, including KF-21 fighter jets, Light Armed Helicopters, and long-range surface-to-air missiles, a move widely seen as a show-of-force against North Korea's continued provocations.
Choi Sang-mok, the former senior presidential secretary for economic affairs, has been nominated as ...
INDIAN CINEMAIndian Ambassador to Korea Amit Kumar (center), spouse of the Indian ambassador to Kore ...
Latvia hopes to boost trade, investment and cultural relations with Korea, said the country's t ...
Rival parties call for measures after China halts urea exports
Fifty Fifty's Keena marks group's 1st anniversary with apology
이낙연 "전우 시체 위에서 응원가 못 부른다"…총선 유세 거절?
Seoul to push through bill to ban dog meat consumption
Ocean specialist tapped as maritime affairs minister
Trump vows to kill Asia trade deal being pursued by Biden if elected
- 北, 러시아 외무장관 방북 발표…이달 18~19일 방문
- SK Pharmteco bets big on cell, gene therapy
- 여권 ‘TK 지지율’ 비상…오늘 서울 오는 박근혜에 주목
- 김웅 "이준석 사면은 내부총질·해당행위…마녀재판 맞았던 것"
- 野 "이태원 1주기 공동주최 빠지겠다"…尹대통령 참석 촉구
- Argentinian politician's old tweet mocking BTS angers fans
- 홍준표 "난 죄 지은 것 없다, 인요한 사면 논의 자체가 쪽팔려"
- 北, 日의 장거리미사일 조기 배치 추진에 “전쟁국가 일본 실체”
- [KH Explains] A look back on Lee Jae
- LG Electronics to bolster local strategies, B2B push to widen gap with Chinese rivals
- 안철수 측 "심장이상? 허위" 장성철 "安 쓰러져 심폐소생술"
- US strategic bomber B
- S. Korean kidnapped in Philippines freed
- GOT7’s Youngjae to release 1st solo LP “Do It” next month
- '2023 Box Gallery Exhibition' by Youth Impact shows art made of discarded paper
- Biden says Hamas must be eliminated, US officials warn war could escalate
- S. Korea, US, Japan stage trilateral maritime interdiction drills for 1st time in 7 years
- SK Chemicals partners with Estee Lauder for eco
- 유승민 “안철수·이준석, 초상집서 상주끼리 그만 싸워라”
- Seoul shares open lower on tech, battery slump
- 'Apgujeong Box Girl' sparks online debate
- S. Korea, Latin America to discuss ways to boost trade, ICT cooperation
- “이게 KF
- BTS Jungkook's star
- Omega X to return with 3rd EP ‘iykyk’ next month
- Gimbap and hanja cramming: Life of Korean Studies students in Paris
- New government initiative offers W3b reward to combat digital piracy
- Import prices rise for 3rd month on higher oil costs
- Is Blackpink leaving YG?
- Foreign workers' deaths get weak sanctions