N. Korea notifies Japan of plan to launch satellite between Wednesday and Dec. 1: report
简介North Korea has notified Japan of a plan to launch a space rocket between Wednesday and Dec. 1, Reut ...
North Korea has notified Japan of a plan to launch a space rocket between Wednesday and Dec. 1, Reuters reported Monday, as the recalcitrant regime is preparing for what would be its third attempt to put a military spy satellite into orbit.
The North apprised Japan's Coast Guard of the planned launch in the direction of the Yellow Sea and East China Sea, according to Reuters.
South Korea has said Pyongyang may go ahead with the launch as early as "this week or so," while urging the regime to "immediately" stop the launch preparations.
The North initially planed to make the third launch attempt in October following two botched launches -- in August and May. But it did not press ahead with the plan last month, raising speculation that it might need more preparation time.
The North's launch preparations drew keen attention amid speculation that Russia might have provided military technology and support to the North in return for the North's supply of military equipment and munitions for use in the war in Ukraine.
Seoul and Washington have warned the North against the launch, which they say would be a violation of UN Security Council resolutions banning any launch using ballistic missile technology.
Lt. Gen. Kang Ho-pil, chief director of operations at South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff, said Monday that Seoul would take "necessary measures" should the North go ahead with the launch.
Observers said that the North appears intent to secure intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance assets as it is far behind the allies in ISR capabilities despite its focus on developing an array of formidable weapons systems, including submarine-launched ballistic missiles and tactical nuclear arms. (Yonhap)
Buddhists and political leaders bade their final farewell to late Ven. Jaseung, a former leader of S ...
JAKARTA, Indonesia -- The partnership between South Korea and Indonesia has grown stronger over the ...
Contrary to concerns that the short selling ban would lead to an exodus of foreign funds, offshore i ...
- Hyundai Motor partners with IUCN for forest project in Vietnam
- 윤재옥 "이재명 '내각 총사퇴' 주장, 정쟁을 위한 도전장"
- 4 North Koreans cross maritime border, say want to defect
- [Herald Review] Based on true story, 3 boys find justice 16 years delayed in 'The Boys'
- AI Auction debuts tax consultant chatbot
- 이재명, 여·야·정 3자 회동 제안…"바지사장 아닌 尹 직접 나서야"
- Hyundai looks to repeat late founder’s Mideast success with EVs, hydrogen
- Seoul shares open flat despite US gains
- Man fined for assaulting soldiers who refused to praise Kim Jong
- 정청래, 가결파 징계에 "신상필벌은 당연…잠시 미뤄둔 것"
- S. Korea, US revise deterrence strategy amid growing NK threats
- [Today’s K
- [Korean History] In 2005, science world’s biggest scandal unravels in Seoul
- Google offers data residency for Korean corporate clients
- SK to create world's first advanced plastic recycling cluster, breaks ground in Ulsan
- Yoon says short selling ban necessary to protect retail investors
- [Up close in Yeouido] Spy
- US approves possible sale of SM
- Soyeon, Winter, Liz's collaborative song 'Nobody' comes out Thursday
- [Herald Interview] ‘Daily Dose of Sunshine’ director, actor say drama consoled them
- Ive, aespa, NewJeans, StayC and Kiss of Life join star
- [Herald Interview] Korean team wins James Dyson Award with ‘hands
- UN committee adopts resolution on N. Korean human rights for 19th straight year
- Bill pushed to let South Korea list Hamas as foreign terrorist before UN
- Posco vows to foster startups, regional economies
- Yoon set to depart for San Francisco to attend APEC summit
- 송영길 “비례정당 출마 검토”…조국과 연대 가능성도 시사
- N. Korea tests newly developed solid
- Stray Kids to perform at 2023 Billboard Music Awards
- Seoul subway to hold second strike Nov. 22