Seoul condemns Hamas’ attack on Israel
简介The South Korean Foreign Ministry said Sunday that no Korean injuries or deaths have been reported s ...
The South Korean Foreign Ministry said Sunday that no Korean injuries or deaths have been reported so far from the fighting in Israel that erupted Saturday.
There are currently 570 Korean residents in Israel -- 290 in Jerusalem, Israel’s capital, 210 in central areas including Tel Aviv and 70 in other regions. There are also thought to be some 360 Korean tourists in the country, according to the ministry. The ministry advised Korean residents and travelers to evacuate to a third country if possible.
The Palestinian militants in Gaza fired a barrage of rockets and sent fighters across the border toward central and southern Israel during a major Jewish holiday on early Saturday morning (local time), claiming the lives of more than 300 people and leaving at least 1,860 people injured, Israel’s emergency rescue service and Health Ministry confirmed, making it the deadliest attack in Israel since the Yom Kippur War 50 years ago.
Following the bloodshed, South Korea strongly condemned the unprecedented attack by gunmen from the Palestinian group Hamas in Israel as the long-running conflict between the two countries erupted again.
“The government strongly condemns the indiscriminate attacks against Israel from the Gaza Strip, including (Palestine’s) rocket attacks. We urge an immediate end (to such attacks and the use of violence),” the spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a commentary.
The spokesperson added that the South Korean government is deeply concerned about the steep rise in civilian casualties from the attacks and that the government extends its condolences to the victims and their bereaved families.
The Israeli military said about 2,200 rockets were launched from the Gaza Strip into Israel, while armed terror groups intruded into its territory by land, sea and air in paragliders. Israel responded with a retaliatory strike to the bloodshed, killing more than 250 in Gaza. The attack continued into the night. It added that Hamas had taken hostages and prisoners of war but did not give an exact figure.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu declared war after the attack by the Palestinian militant group, saying the country would take “mighty vengeance for this wicked day.” He has also ordered strikes on Gaza and called for an extensive reserve mobilization.
Art Together, a subsidiary under major Korean art auctioneer K-Auction, announced Monday it has subm ...
First lady Kim Keon Hee met Wednesday with a group of Korean women residing in Japan, thanking them ...
A total of 218 South Korean nationals in Israel headed home on Tuesday after Hamas’ attack Saturday, ...
- P1Harmony expands reach in US with iHeartRadio Jingle Ball Tour
- [HIT Forum] High schooler shares his space dream
- [Korean History] In 2003's Daegu, disaster plays out underground
- Science minister welcomes HIT forum on space economy
- Daewoo E&C seeks to join Indonesia's capital relocation
- Sejong University ranks 8th among Korean peers in world university rankings for 3rd consecutive year
- LG, Hyundai, YouTube team up for in
- CJ Olive Young opens foreigner
- [Korean History] Bodies of two infants discovered in freezer in Seoul's Seorae Village
- Rental fraudster’s ‘luxury life’ sparks anger
- NCSoft to unveil new titles at G
- Kakao taxi
- Rental fraudster’s ‘luxury life’ sparks anger
- NK closes embassy in Spain after shutting down 2 missions in Africa
- Dreamcatcher to present new album 'VillanS' on Nov. 22
- Korea to set workplace harassment criteria: minister
- Kyobo Life chairman wins top industry honor
- Celltrion posts record earnings in Q3, buoyed by upbeat biosimilar sales
- 대통령실, 범정부 기술유출 합동대응단 출범
- Seoul offers 10,000 sets of portable SOS emergency bell ‘Zikimi’
- Cold wave hit S. Korea amid forecast of even chillier morning
- 인요한 만난 김종인 “처방은 잘했지만, 환자가 약을 먹어야”
- S. Korea retracts bans on disposable cups at cafes, restaurants
- Kard signs with Cardi B, Post Malone's agency
- [Herald Interview] Through memories, Bora Jin pens ode to grandfather and Busan
- 선관위, 이준석 유튜브 멤버십 중지 요청…"정치자금법 위반 소지"
- 블링컨 美국무장관 한국 도착…9일 한미 외교장관 회담
- AmCham hosts AI forum for SMEs
- [Korea Beyond Korea] Yale sociologist and BTS fan researches K
- [Our Museums] Explore plaintive and joyful melodies of Korea at Arirang Museum
- [Hello Hangeul] Americans seeking to visit Korea learn the language in LA
- Spending on overseas tourism rises by most in 13 years
- Lawmaker calls for specifying China's responsibility in UN resolution on NK human rights
- S. Korea retakes No. 1 spot in global shipbuilding orders in Oct.
- Talks on Goryeo artifact's repatriation resume a decade later
- 'Justice will prevail': G