Outpaced by Coupang, Shinsegae carries out major leadership reshuffle
简介South Korean retail giant Shinsegae Group conducted a large-scale, earlier-than-usual personnel shak ...
South Korean retail giant Shinsegae Group conducted a large-scale, earlier-than-usual personnel shakeup following its flagging business showings and losing race against fast-growing retail powerhouses such as Coupang.
Via an executive appointment conducted a month ahead of its usual timing, 9 out of 25 of Shinsegae Group's chief executive officers, or some 40 percent, were replaced.
The reshuffle was made in accordance with Shinsegae Group's new system personnel management system dubbed the "integrated CEO system," in which the group aimed to consolidate organizational capabilities by having one CEO be responsible for the operation of multiple subsidiaries within a closely related business group.
Kang Hee-seok, the former CEO of E-mart -- the nation’s largest discount store chain owned by Shinsegae Group -- was replaced with Han Chae-yang, the former CEO of Chosun Hotel & Resort.
Under the new system, Han's responsibilities will now not only be limited to managing E-mart but will also include heading all of Shinsegae Group's offline retail operations, such as E-mart Everyday and E-mart 24.
CEO of Shinsegae Central City Park Ju-hyung was newly appointed to serve concurrently as the CEO of Shinsegae, the group's holdings company, while CEO of Shinsegae Food Song Hyun-suk was assigned to serve simultaneously as the CEO of Shinsegae L&B. According to the new system, Song will now assume the role of supervising the group's entire food and beverage business.
CEO of Shinsegae Property Im Young-rok was further anointed with the title of CEO of Chosun Hotels & Resort. He will now head the group's real estate development business.
Meanwhile, Lee In-young, CEO of SSG.com, and Chun Hang-il, CEO of Gmarket, were cleared to continue to serve as the heads of each company.
"(Shinsegae Group) has made bold, innovative personnel changes to fundamentally reform and strengthen the competitiveness of the organization, create new results and maximize synergy," said an official from Shinsegae.
"(Shinsegae Group) will continue to strengthen the group's future preparations by initiating performance-based personnel management," he added.
The major personnel reshuffle comes as Shinsegae Group has recently been grappling with lackluster financial results.
In the first half of 2023, Shinsegae's cumulative sales and operating profits suffered on-year decreases of 13.8 percent and 14 percent, respectively, to log 3.1 trillion won ($2.3 billion) and 302 billion won, respectively.
In addition, for the first time, the quarterly sales of Shinsegae's major retail subsidiary, E-mart, were outpaced by those of Coupang during the first quarter, on a consolidated basis. During the period, Coupang logged 7.6 trillion won in sales, while E-mart logged 7.1 trillion won.
"Shinsegae, as with other retail companies, has been suffering from slowed consumption amid the slowdown in the economy. It has also conducted a slew of large-scale mergers and acquisitions since 2021. Shinsegae is currently under pressure to show synergy between the existing and new businesses as soon as possible, and improve its financial results," said an industry official on the condition of anonymity.
"By speedily replacing the heads of its major subsidiaries, it is possible that the group is aiming to quickly prepare for next year's business," they said.
Netflix Korea's popular dating reality show "Single's Inferno" has returned with its third ...
Stray Kids charted No. 1 on Billboard 200 with its eighth EP, according to the publication’s preview ...
추미애 전 법무부 장관. 뉴스1추미애 전 법무부 장관은 19일 “윤석열 대통령 지지율을 30%대로 받쳐주는 철벽통들이 있다”고 주장했다.추 전 장관은 이날 자신의 페이스북에 “돈 ...
- LS Cable develops world’s fastest data transfer cable
- Trump vows to kill Asia trade deal being pursued by Biden if elected
- S. Korea issues navigation warning amid planned N.K. rocket launch
- NCSoft to tear loose from Lineage: CEO
- S. Korea, Canada sign MOU on climate change cooperation
- Enigmatic artist David Rappeneau's first Asia show taking place at Gladstone Gallery
Buddhists, political leaders bid farewell to late Ven. Jaseung
Seoul Philharmonic's new music director van Zweden to focus on Mahler, collaborations
추미애 "尹대통령 지지율 30%대 받쳐주는 철벽통들이 있다"
Zepeto metaverse plans to support Apple Vision Pro
North Korea threatens consequences after South Korea launches 1st spy satellite
US renews concerns over N. Korea
- Seventeen 1st male group this year to top Melon Top 100
- [Our Museums] Ride through nation's train heritage at Korea Railroad Museum
- Naver to build digital twin platform for Saudi cities
- [New on scene] Lee Jun
- Unification minister meets US civic group head to discuss NK human rights
- KT, Hyundai E&C, Saudi’s STC team up for digital infrastructure
- [New on scene] Lee Jun
- Gender ministry to discipline 123 parents for not paying child support
- Opposition leader returns to party duties, calls for Cabinet overhaul
- US missionary descendant picked to rescue troubled ruling party
- Celltrion's Zymfentra to make US debut in February
- Festivals to illuminate Seoul’s winter nights
- Ilyon Woo's nonfiction lands on NYT's 10 best books of 2023
- Photo of Fu Bao's baby twin sisters’ birth selected for Time's Top 100 Photos of 2023
- National Orchestra of Korea's 'Winter Concert' to bring harmony of tradition, musicals
- Merger of Korean OTT platforms Tving and Wavve imminent: sources
- Former divas return as Golden Girls
- As streaming services raise fees, some turn to illegal streaming sites
- [Hello Indonesia] Cultural tapestry woven at 'Korea
- ASEAN filmmakers' works to be screened in Busan
- [KH Explains] KG Mobility looks to turn to annual profit for 1st time in 7 years
- 군사합의 효력 정지 책임 넘긴 北 "한반도 전쟁은 시점 문제"
- NewJeans, Seventeen, BTS win top honors at 2023 MAMA Awards
- [Global Finance Awards] Shinhan chief makes big ESG push
- Ateez closes 1st chapter of career with 'The World Ep. Fin: Will’
- 이종석 헌재소장 임명안 국회 통과…수장 공백 21일 만에 해소
- '12.12: The Day' surpasses 4m ticket sales on 12th day of release
- [Global Finance Awards] Going global essential in era of digital finance
- 장예찬 "이상민 탈당에 깊이 공감…민주당 고쳐쓰기 불가능"
- A decade of YouTube and Korea in the World of Dave